This painted terra cotta pot is a great project for beginning painters, but experienced painters will find it equally fun and inspiring. There are only a few supplies needed to create this, and you can change the paint colors according to your preferences. These painted pots make GREAT gifts for Mother’s Day, birthdays and as house warming gifts. Fill them with soil and plants for an extra touch.
Included in this post is a PDF file that will allow you to print the pattern for the floral design. The pattern comes in three sizes for use with 4″, 6″ and 8″ terra cotta planter pots.
Though I am showing you, in the video, how to paint the flowers on one side of the pot, it is even prettier when you paint the flowers on opposite sides of the pot. The rim can be painted a solid color, or you can embellish it with stripes, polka dots or even a hand written saying by using a black Painters brand marker for this purpose.
Here is a list of supplies you will need before getting started.
- Terra cotta pot
- Printed pattern or your own design
- Acrylic paints: Boysenberry Pink, Hauser Light Green, Baby Pink, Warm White and Plum Rose.
- Polyurethane spray sealant (recommended Helmsman Clear Satin Polyurethane)
- Painters black markers in “fine” and “medium” tips
- Painter’s tape or masking tape
- Saral transfer paper, optional
- Paint brushes, assorted for use with acrylics
- Water basin for washing paint brushes
- Paper towel or cloth for wiping paint brushes
- Scissors to cut pattern
The DIY video tutorial below includes narration, so please turn up the volume. The video is less than 6 minutes in length. Enjoy!
Until next time! ~ Susan
Here is the link to download and print the FREE flower pattern: Flower Pattern
DISCLAIMER: The following images contain Amazon affiliate links. Please read the DISCLOSURE page to learn more about our use of affiliate links.